When is an energy performance certificate required?

An EPC is needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. All landlords must order an Energy Performance Certificate for potential buyers or tenants before marketing their properties to sell or let.

What if I sell my property privately?

Whether you have an estate agent or not, you must provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property. It is true that an estate agent would have done this for you, but as a private seller you can still organise it yourself.

The certificate must be issued by an energy assessor who is accredited to produce them for the category of building concerned.

The certificate will contain information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs including recommendations that you can use to reduce energy use saving your buyer or tenant (if you choose to rent) money.  Certificates are rated from A to G, with G being the least efficient.  Once created they are good for 10 years.

When selling, your buyer’s solicitor will ask you to produce an Energy Performance Certificate, if you do not or are unable to, you can be fined for no compliance with the law.

When is an Energy Performance Certificate required?


EPCs are required as follows for these dwellings:

  • Individual house/dwelling
  • Self-contained flats.
  • Bedsits or room lets where there is a shared kitchen, toilet and/or bathroom
Comments are closed.